Protons, Neutrons, Electrons!

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Random?

Something I've contemplated occasionally is the human ability to be random, or lack of it. I usually that if someone attempts to act in a random way then they'd simply do something that the people around them would not see as normal behaviour. This, however, is not random; it is just un-usual. I have found that in an attempt to be surreal that I have only produced some kind of story or situation that simply doesn't make sense rather than something that is possible and truely bizarre.
I have chosen to mention this now because I was testing a calcultor program on my computer and in an attempt to pick random numbers I chose numbers that were related to each other.
I typed the following:
(312-133)*(179/27)
When I typed it I was completely unaware that 312-133 is infact 179, and that 179 is a multiple of 27. I found this result surprising and worth making a note of.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only thing humans come across in themselves that is completely random is in dreams. True they sometimes make sense but when you try describing a weird one it almost can't be done. There's never really a plot and people identities get mixed up and places get mixed up. "it was but it wasn't". If you get my drift.
Rich I like how you said "I have found that in an attempt to be surreal that I have only produced some kind of story or situation that simply doesn't make sense". In that case, is random only successful at being random when it makes sense? hmmm...:-)

7/4/06 15:53  
Blogger Rich said...

I think, really, it's about perspective. That is, I don't think I can be intentionally random for myself, but something I mind find quite normal (due to past situations/experience) someone else may be completely perturbed by.

8/4/06 10:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

179 is a multiple of 27???
Very funny ...
Are you calculating with rune stones too???

16/4/06 19:54  
Blogger Rich said...

That is really strange... Why the hell did I think that 179 is a multiple of 27. It really depresses me that I could say something so rediculous.

17/4/06 23:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home