Protons, Neutrons, Electrons!

Friday, March 10, 2006

Kool Desktop Environment

I don't know if you can tell (lol) but I've been quite into KDE lately.
I didn't used to be this way. For ages I was a gnome user but used to switch between that and minimalistic window managers like IceWM and Fluxbox. I was always in search of the perfect window manager and spent hours and hours configuring and tweaking desktop menus and playing with file managers but was never particularly satisfied. I didn't like the idea of KDE with all it's integrated programs and huge Control Center and I was also put off thinking that it would be very RAM consuming. I spent some time over the last year playing with various different distros, e.g. Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Debian, SourceMage and even tried FreeBSD for a week, and during this time I've always been able to turn to KDE to get things running the way I wanted. Without sifting through setup documention and configuration scripts it's been the easiest way to get everything running quickly and smoothly. Another important factor that really swayed me in the end was Konqueror. I think it's an excellent app to use for file management, FTP, and web browsing all in one! (I do also use Firefox a lot though) I figured that if I'm going to be using Konqueror and loading all of the stuff that it needs in the background then I may as well use KDE.
Since retreating back to the trusty distribution of Slackware I've been using KDE solidly and having gotten used to hunting down kwin themes and gui styles I'm really pleased with all of the crazy stuff you can do, and how easy it is to make look really nice.
Recently I found a link on wikipedia to the original forum post of the guy who thought up KDE (in those days he called it the 'Kool Desktop Environment'). Take a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home