Protons, Neutrons, Electrons!

Friday, May 19, 2006

Zenwalk

As you may be able to tell by now, I have a bit of an obsession with trying to find the perfect Linux distribution for me. I used Slackware for over a year so I like the hands on approach, but I'm also quite fond of some things being done for me. In particular, by this, I mean that I don't like messing around installing hundreds of dependencies by hand when compiling software. I briefly touched on the source-based distro around xmas when I was using Sourcemage, which was nice, but I couldn't get absolutely everything configured right.
Recently I've been messing with RPM-based distros, which are nice, and easy to use, but I feel that sometimes in the process of simplifying their use that they take awat command-line tools, which is annoying.
I would go back tu using Slackware, but they insist on giving you an old 2.4 kernel, which is frankly nasty. Old kernels don't like my USB Hard disk, so I need at least a 2.6.4.
I am currently downloading Zenwalk Linux, which is based on Slackware. I'm hoping that I'll have the functionality I want, but with the easy of plug-n-play usb device detection that they boast about.
I'll let you know how I get on. Maybe this one is it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home